Music | Part Two

Its 2019, baby!

Image result for happy new year gif 2019


Decided to do a part two of this.  Its the new year and I just wanted to share more amazing artists/songs that might just help better your mood or your entire day.  We all need a little something to feel good.


JOHNNYSWIM.  I love me some Colbie Caillat songs.  (I actually have Colbie Caillat and Jason Young in the background doing a cover of Turn Your Lights Down Low now ❤️).  Her songs just leave me feeling as if I'm in love again just like what Sara Bareilles and Gavin DeGraw's music does to me.  So I kind of stalked her Instagram account and went to her posts from a few years back.  That's when I first heard of Johnnyswim as she posted a video of herself and Jason Young singing to First Try.  So I did a little research on the husband/wife duo and fell in love with their music ❤️

Johnnyswim and Drew Holcomb & the Neighbors' new album Goodbye Road came out May last year, which features pieces of light and hope in a society where a lot of people feel like they don't have both.

"Featuring the harmony-heavy vocals of Penny & Sparrow on several tracks, Goodbye Road was written and recorded in the wake of an emotionally-charged year that included the racial assaults in Charlottesville, the loss of rock & roll icon Tom Petty, and the heartbreaking attack upon an audience of music fans at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas. The result is a record that not only doubles down on swooning, sweeping melodies, but also offers messages of hope and resilience. It's bright, clear-eyed music for cloudier times."

Its hard to pick a favorite, but I'll have to trim it down to these five:
Live While We're Young, A Million Years, Let It Matter, In My Arms, and Diamonds.

"Diamonds"
You've taken down so many others 
Oh but you'll know my name when you see
And in these ashes I'm stronger still
You will learn to feel my pain, yeah you will


GEORGE EZRA.  I was listening to either Milky Chance's Stolen Dance or Vance Joy's Riptide on Youtube (had the autoplay function enabled again) before I heard the very classic voice of George Ezra.  I have heard of Budapest before but I never got the chance to check who the artist was.  So when I heard it again I was ecstatic!  I was shocked that this classic voice is from this 25-year-old guy!  When he talks, he doesn't talk that deep though.  I'm not saying he's shallow hahahaha I just meant that his voice doesn't sound that low when he talks.

I also love his BBC Music Awards performance back in 2014.  I loved when the crowd was singing along with him so loudly that it made him smile. 😍 Well I think it did.
And gosh he looks so good too!  Those blue eyes 😍
Sign up to the George Ezra newsletter

His new album, Staying at Tamara's, was released March last year.  His new album is so catchy and summery it makes me happy!  The album was written in Barcelona where instead of staying at a hotel, he found a stranger on the internet named Tamara and rented out her spare room.  Really interesting, right?

My favorites are: Budapest, Paradise, Shotgun.

"Paradise"
I know you heard it from those other boys
But this time its real 
its something that I feel and

If it feels like paradise running through your bloody veins
You know its love heading your way


TWENTY ØNE PILØTS.  I remembered listening to House of Gold, Car Radio and Ride on repeat on the way to my classes.  I did that each and every time until I got to memorize the lyrics.  I became obsessed with this band for a while thanks to my friend who had TØP on his playlist. 

What I love about this band is that they use different styles in their music.  And I think this is what makes this duo more interesting.

TØP also released their new album Trench last October 2018.  

My favorites are: Car Radio, Holding On To You, Trees, Ride, and Tear In My Heart

"Car Radio"
I ponder of something terrifying
Cos this time there's no sound to hide behind
To find over the course of human existence
One thing consists of consistence 
And its that we're all battling fear
Oh dear I don't know if we know why we're here
Oh my too deep please stop thinking
I liked it better when my car had sound


JON BELLION.  Heard All Time Low like a million times way before I knew who sang it (love the acoustic version!).  I was reading tweets about Twenty Øne Pilots and I ended up on Jon's profile listening to his acoustic version of Guillotine.  Gawd I wish there was a full version of it.  (skip to 13:40 if you're watching it now. Though looking at the process is awesome as well).

It blew my mind when I learned that Jon Bellion fronted for TØP on their ERS Tour in 2017.  Jealous of all the people who went. UGH.

Glory Sound Prep was released in November last year.  I honestly haven't listened to all of the songs yet. 😅

JB favorites are: Guillotine, Maybe IDK and Woke The F Up.

"Guillotine"
The secrets you tell me I'll take to my grave
There's bones in my closet but you hang stuff anyway
And if you have nightmares we'll dance on the bed
I know that you love me, love me
Even when I lose my head


SIA.  We've all heard of Titanium, Chandelier, Elastic Heart and Cheap Thrills.  I knew that she has a great voice but I never really bothered to listen to her other songs.  It was until I watched her in James Corden's Carpool Karaoke.  So when I started to run again I'd have a lot of "screw it, this is the last time Im running" moments- I hate doing cardio especially running 🙄 Listening to her other songs just gave me that push that I needed to finish strong.  And I bet you know which songs I'm talking about - Alive, Greatest, and Unstoppable.  Love it especially how I'm out of breathe and all that jazz then I hear her sing I'm still breathing, I'm alive; Running out of breath but I got stamina; and I'm a Porsche with no breaks (Though in reality I got a turtle's pace. Sorry, turtles.  No offense.) 😅 

But aside from those songs, love these as well: Bird Set Free, Soon We'll Be Found and We Can Hurt Together.

"Soon We'll Be Found"
Lets not fight I'm tired can we just sleep tonight
Turn away its just there's nothing left here to say
Turn around I know were lost but soon we'll be found

"We Can Hurt Together"
There ain't nothing you can say that can scare me away
I've got history too and its never too late
To share a secret today, I'll reciprocate 
Baby, I got you

I've been where you've been
I've seen what you've seen
So hurt with me, we can hurt together


ANDY GRAMMER.  Been hearing Fresh Eyes for a long time but I never knew who the artist was.  I don't know why but I only knew of Andy Grammer a few weeks ago.  Now I have Always on repeat on my car  ❤️  Such an underrated artist, but I do hope that he gets the spotlight that he deserves.

Its also very timely that Megan Batoon (she's an amazing dancer/youtuber/person!  If you haven't heard of her yet, check her channel out) made a choreography to The Good Parts last weekA brilliant one as always.

Image result for andy grammer gif

My favorites are: Always, Spaceship, and Working On It

"Working On It"
You know we're just working on it
No leaderboard keeping score
Long as you woke up this morning
And see you're working on it
It might be taking forever, but it's better than ever


JASON MRAZ.  I was ecstatic when I found out that Jason made his Broadway debut as Dr. Pommater in Waitress!  I haven't seen the musical yet but I have heard all of the songs in it because of the musical genius Sara Bareilles.  Dreaming for the day that I could watch the show.  Back to Mraz... I am all about the Know album, which was released August last year.  2018 produced a lot of good albums, right?  The first song I heard off of this album is Unlonely and I have been hooked!  I am so ready with my wedding playlist with Jason's songs ❤️ All I need is a groom hahahah

From past albums, my favorites are Long Drive and Love Someone His live performance at the Mranch was so good!  I would love to experience an intimate gig like that.  For me, it was very reminiscent of Dashboard Confessional's MTV unplugged album.

No doubt, my favorite from the Know album is Let's See What The Night Can Do.

We can head North over the oceans of turquoise
And after a while there will be no noise
Except for the sound of our heartbeats beating on


GABRIELLE APLIN.  Stumbled upon this artist 2 months ago again.  Went through something painful in November and drenched myself in Gabrielle's Stay2018 was a year where I had to decide to let go of toxic things that were once important, but recently became more of a baggage.  No matter how much you would want and try to change the situation, eventually you will need to make up your mind so you can be free of unnecessary drama and have a peaceful heart.  Wow, felt a little bit of pinch there 😅

Going back to Gabrielle 😅 I've always thought that she was Australian.  I only knew that she was British recently when I googled the lyrics of Stay.  Been meaning to play this on the piano too and perhaps crush my heart with it while I'm PMSing.  I sense it coming. hahahah

My favorites are: Home, Please Dont Say You Love Me, and of course Stay. 

"Stay" 
You can stay in the past
You can live a lie
Say I've change, call me cold
Call me what you like
And never know what its like on the other side


MICHL.  Love love love his EP!  I knew about this artist because of the very talented Sean Lew ❤️

My favorite is Die Trying.

We're in over our heads
We're holding our breath
Will we ever get to the other side
Before there's nothing left
Yeah our bodies are weak
We're tired of hurting
Will we ever get to the other side
Don't know, but I swear, I'll die trying

Random Songs/Artists.  
I used to dance a lot when I was younger.  Nowadays, I just follow a couple of American choreographers and look at their Youtube videos and try it out as well.  Thank you for the tutorials, Matt Steffanina!  Hahaha  I was watching random dance videos when I stumbled on a Sean Lew one and it just blew me away.  Aside from his choreography, I kind of liked his song choices too.  This one song I kept on playing for days and weeks!  Its that good.

I don't know if I should use the artist's videos or the choreography ones hahaha but I hope you enjoy both :) 

Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (Lido Remix) (skip to 3:05 to watch Sean Lew! lol)
Chet Faker - Talk is Cheap  (you might want to check out Megan Batoon's choreography for this song.  I love Megan!)

I hope you got some new favorites from these ;) And I hope that this year will bring you heaps of opportunities to see/experience the goodness of the world, strength to fight off negative energies, and courage to let go of things that are no longer contributing to your well-being. 🙏

0 comments:

Post a Comment