Body Massage

"Massage - manipulation of tissues (as by rubbing, kneading, or tapping) with the hand or an instrument for therapeutic purposes." - Merriam Webster

It has been practiced for ages in different parts of the world and if you need one there are different styles and techniques which you can choose from.  I have never been a huge fan of being massaged in general.  It is relaxing but have not really felt any urge to have a full body massage or maybe because I haven't experienced the right one yet.

"Swedish Massage combines various hands-on techniques including gliding, kneading and cross-fiber friction to break up muscle knots, called adhesion." - http://spas.about.com

"Shiatsu is a style of bodywork developed in Japan. It is similar to acupuncture, but uses finger pressure instead of needles.  Shiatsu's goal is to restore the healthy flow of energy throughout the body." - http://spas.about.com

Ventosa. Years ago I remember looking at one of my good friends, she was wearing a racer back top and had circle markings on her back. She said she just had a massage and I immediately thought that it was hot rocks placed on her back. But no its not.  Ventosa or also called the Cupping therapy was originated in China in which cups (glass cups or bamboo cups) are place on the skin to create suction with the use of a flame. 

So last weekend I had the chance to chill and relax at Family Shiatsu and Massage Clinic.  Only tried it out as my colleagues were recommending it.  According to most of the people I know who are fond of getting a massage, rates go a lot higher for most of the other Clinics/Spas compared to them.  The lights inside were dim and they had 5 rooms that were enclosed by curtains.  The lobby area was neat and comfy.  And oh they have wifi too. But you'll only want it while waiting for your turn or waiting for someone your accompanying with to finish.  So there I was, waiting, thinking if I'll get sick the day after because of the intense kneading or if I'll be biting my tongue all throughout the session trying not to laugh.  


OMG! Yes, the price is just right! This deserves two thumbs up :)

The verdict. What I had was the Swedish Massage w/ ventosa which was superb. OA lang ano? This is just me, okay? So don't hate. It was my first time and it really did feel good! In fact it was beyond my expectations... I thought that the ventosa would hurt because of the flame but didn't feel any pain at all!  The oil that the therapist/masseuse used was so calming, I loved it (though I disliked the oily feeling afterwards).  I was almost sleeping all through out the session and there was a part that I did bite my tongue to avoid giggling and disturbing the other customers. It was such a perfect way to relieve your body from ages of stress like I had. And the best part is it only costs Php 250.00. Great price right?  I'll make sure to try Shiatsu on my next visit. 



Family Shiatsu and Massage Clinic is located at Palma Gil St., Davao City beside The Royal Mandaya Hotel.  Better get there early as I hear the place is pretty packed up at night ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment